Wednesday, September 30, 2015





Donna's Daily Works



I call these my Apple A Day Works - 
sort of like an apple a day helps to keep us in good health; a quick work at the start of each day teaches me so much and keeps me aware of  the color, design and shape of my art.




This morning we have sunshine after a few days of rain. The light through my window is wonderful, so I started and completed a 40 minute study, using a nice red and pale green Macintosh apple I picked up yesterday at market. The candle holder is one that's been in our family for twenty plus years. I seldom use it for the table but I do love the shape for painting. :)


Morning Work, oil on 8 x 8 prepared panel

Here's the completed work - 8 x 8 oil on prepared panel - so this is one of my extra mat boards, leftover from framing. I cut these to size, apply a coat or two of gesso and they're ready to go. These are great for studies, very economical and if things don't turn out the way I envision, the investment in money and time is minimal. For me it's a great way to paint on affordable surfaces and get some education too.



Mac and Candle Holder, oil on 8 x 8 prepared panel




Today is the last day of September and the final day of Leslie Saeta's 30 paintings in 30 days challenge. You can view all images posted by participating artists at http://lesliesaeta.blogspot.com/

I actually painted my last work yesterday morning. Our kitchen table held three vine ripe tomatoes - very ripe in fact. They were ready for a stew or salad for sure. When time is running out on these items, I do a quick paint and use them in something I'm cooking for dinner. No waste here if I can possibly help it; every penny counts.


My photo of the set up is here. It shows my block in, trusty cardboard box, pillow case, dark foam core panel and objects to paint. The window to my left offers nice lighting at different times of the day. It can get too bright at times, and too hot, but early morning offers a good hour and a half of choice lighting - much better than what this photo shows. I have a large studio easel to the right of this photo, but my table top is great for these early morning sketches in oil. It's a bit worn after twenty plus years with me. I take it almost everywhere, but it works like a charm and I love the compact ease of these small easels.


Tomatoes and POP set up, using a 9 x 12 canvas paper taped to foam core panel

Here's my finished piece and my post for today's 30 in 30 challenge with Leslie Saeta. This is 9 x 12 canvas paper which I have adjusted to over the past couple of months, and have come to love through trial and error. In truth everyday comes with trial and quite a bit of error. :) I find these economical and easy to take along outdoors, or on a trip out of town. The Strathmore canvas pads are more like a textured paper, while the Fredrix pads are a fabric. I like each but find the textured paper more to my likeing - it's a bit sturdier.
All for now, thanks so much for stopping by and have a great Wednesday. Peace and Health -







No comments:

Post a Comment