Friday, September 18, 2015



Donna's Daily Works - I call these my Apple A Day Works - much like an apple a day helps to keep us in good health; a work a day helps me learn and become more aware of the color, design and shape of my art. 


My morning post for Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge, day 18 is a sunset from about a week ago. This is painted on a cut and primed 6 x 8 mat board using two or three knives. Time spent is 30 to 40 minutes. After about 15 minutes the intensity of light is mostly gone from these sunsets so I try to work fast, and rely upon memory.
This place by the lake is one I really enjoy, Galt's Ferry on Lake Allatoona. I teach classes here on summer evenings. It's a great place with boating, fishing, a playground and a sandy beach area with picnic tables. During the season, it's $4 to park, with hours from something like 8 am to 9 pm. Very nice...I myself have a favorite table. It faces the setting sun on warm summer nights.

 http://lakeallatoona.com/parks/galts-ferry/

 


Earlier today I worked with charcoal - creating sketches - figurative works for my dance series. The image pictured below is one of a handful. Our daughter is a dancer and my muse for this series. She has a really great scarf and ruffly dress. Lucky for me...

Flamenco Dancer, Charcoal on about 18 x 16 paper


Also on my drawing board today is this charcoal work - a study for a larger painting in oil. I'm not sure that I'll handle the oil in the same fashion, but this was good practice. These young women were walking around at last month's Artwalk in Marietta. We began to talk - sweet young ladies and students at a local dance studio. As it turns out, I have a pair of new models. :) Thanks girls...

That's all for now - thanks for stopping by. Peace and Health


Marietta Ballerinas, charcoal on 18 x 24 paper


2 comments:

  1. You are prolific! Love your sky! How lucky are you to have your daughter there as your resident model! Thank you for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks Kaethe...so kind of you to say.
    I am fortunate to have our daughter as a model. She is wonderful - very patient.
    It's always my pleasure to share information or process. I hope to do more of this here.
    In truth, each day I work to figure out how to paint or draw something. Maintaining daily work helps, and I notice shifts in my skills if I my schedule causes me to skip multiple days. I have to push to get back to a place. I think about muscle tissue and the benefit of us going a bit further each time we work. Whatever skill I have is not much different to me.
    Thank you so much again for the kind words and enjoy your day. :)

    ReplyDelete