Thursday, September 10, 2015


Donna's Apple a Day Works - akin to an apple a day helps to keep us in good health; a work a day helps me stay aware of the color, design and shape of my art.


This morning I went out early to paint. We had a hard rain last evening so I thought there might be a bright sky today. Supplies included my box, three 6 x 8 canvas panels - easy to transport - and a limited palette of cad red, cad yellow, ultramarine and pthalo blue, plus raw umber, white and black. I use black sparingly, but it works so nicely with yellow to create greens that seem in tune with local color. Painting knives or palette knives are a great tool for me, but I work with larger brushes too. The attached photo shows a scene from the lake. I love it here.

Lake Allatoona in Northwest Georgia 


And here's my first painting from this morning, and my post for Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge -  http://lesliesaeta.blogspot.com/ will direct you to the posted works by all the artists participating.
The rocks in my painting are downstream and to the right of the photo. They offer grounding for the image, and I enjoy the exploration involved with rocks; shape, color, values - always such an education. Structures in the background introduce other local color, and work to break up the tree line. Red against green, mmmm......and then I worked to translate those red tones into color for the rocks in the foreground. Overall, a fun quick raw study - no expectations with these - just learning and exploring the landscape. As I look at this one, I believe the second study offers a more blue green cast on the water in the foreground. That might be the way I would lean when making this into a larger painting.
Quick paintings invest little of my time, and they help me learn. In these moments I work through color and composition so when I meet a group at the lake for a paint session, I know more. As I approach a painting, I may understand what I mean to convey - ideas of composition, edge quality or color, but trying to put those thoughts into words that translate clearly to a group is such a learned skill. I practice this each time I go out, so when I demonstrate and talk - another learned skill :) - my goal is use language that will make clear those things that make a work fresh, economic in terms of brushstrokes, and structurally sound. Economy of brushstrokes is important to me and finding that essence of a scene, portrait or figure without overworking is key. We only have a short while to capture those inner qualities - light shifts, figures from life shift into a pose, so I try to react to what is before me as quickly as possible, and pass that idea along to others.

Early Morning, 6 x 8 oil on canvas panel






Last evening before bed, I checked email and learned that two of my works were accepted in the Northwest Georgia Juried Competition. This is their eighth year doing this and the folks there are always so supportive and professional. The show runs from 1 October through 12 October 2015 at the Ben Robertson Community Center. Artist reception will be held from 7 to 9 on the evening of 3 October. M. Camille Day is juror for the show. I'm very grateful for the opportunity to exhibit with this group once again. Thanks so much -

Here are the two accepted works -  that's all for now. Have a great and productive day. Thanks so much for stopping by...Peace and Health

Citrus with Metal, 8 x 10 oil on canvas



Focus, a study - oil on 18 x 24 wood panel



No comments:

Post a Comment