Thursday, September 17, 2015



Donna's Daily Works - I call these my Apple A Day Works - much like an apple a day helps to keep us in good health; a work a day helps me learn and become more aware of the color, design and shape of my art.




I went out during the afternoon to work in charcoal by the lake. Charcoal is so easy to transport and there's no fuss involved - just paper taped to board, sticks, an eraser, and my hands. Gotta love the ease -

So I like these small bushes that grow up on the bank of the water. I spent a few minutes trying to get information down and see what the values look like. There's nothing fancy about the sketch here, I take about 15 minutes to record the basics - scribbling information and only concerning myself with light versus dark.
This spot could be nice for a smaller work on canvas. I will likely return this weekend to work out an 8 x 10 sketch, maybe even a smaller 6 x 8 too. As these sizes are not too great I can figure things out in an hour and a half - before the light shifts and things change up to much.
With these smaller sizes I find it's even possible to set up an easel and sort of go between the two - because their size isn't too great. I'm mindful of how large I work when I go out and make sure it's something I can complete in a sitting. Of course I can return another day when conditions are similar to finish something incomplete.
Sometimes if things simply are not working on one panel, like an 8 x 10 for example, I switch to something smaller, a 6 x 8 to refresh and sort things out. I might wipe or scrap paint away on the 8 x 10 and begin again once things make sense. It works the majority of the time and I have a record to refer back to as I need it.


Bushes on Lake Allatoona, charcoal on 9 x 12 paper



Bushes on the water

Several days ago I went out and painted this little sunset on prepared panel. This means I cut and primed mat board before going out. An exacto knife, good and sharp, plus acrylic gesso - these make a nice surface for studies. They are easy to transport too because they're lightweight.
So this study was done in about 40 minutes, frankly after 15 the light completely shifts, but memory can serve us well. I have to rely at least a little on my memory, working back and forth - eyes on the subject matter more than on my canvas. It's a constant back and forth. Memory helps...but I work to let my tools to do the work necessary, letting them find the spot on the canvas as I'm looking at the scene. In truth, it seems this is when my memory works best. :)
Today I found this little study at the back of my studio, and spent an hour revisiting the moment and the light. The second painting shows an in studio study on 12 x 12 canvas. I decided to mute the color palette with the second painting - just to see...
A third is likely in order - there's still something missing for me. I'll work another day to find it.


6 x 8 Plein Air Sketch in oil from a week or so ago


This is a plein air study from 2014 - we were fortunate to visit Barcelona, Spain. It was warm but very nice. I felt the light on this day, and it was good....


8 x 10 Plein Air Study from 2014

As I'm posting sunsets - here's another and my painting for day 17 of Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge. I invite you to visit the site and look through works completed to date - the address is below. That's all for now. Thanks so much for stopping by...Peace and Health 

http://lesliesaeta.blogspot.com/

Cottage at Sunset, 6 x 8 oil on linen panel

No comments:

Post a Comment