Sunday, October 18, 2015







Blue Vase, oil on leftover 9.5 x 7 linen panel



I call these Apple A Day Works



an apple a day helps keep 
us in good health - a quick 
work at the start of each 
day teaches me and keeps 
me aware of the color, 
design and shape of my art.



Blue Vase is a morning study from today -
another exercise counting strokes to
learn about the economy of my mark. I
lay out my limited palette and take a full
minute or two to look at the set up. These
sessions make me faster, and just more
aware. I do enjoy it and they take
very little time to complete.

Clementines make a good snack after - :)




 Looking at seascapes today and thinking of what I'd like to work up larger. This is one from last year. It's a favorite because I really enjoyed the location - can't remember, maybe 9 x 12.

Plein Air Study - Coastline Series

Yesterday was a class day in Marietta, Georgia at the Museum on the square there. For a couple of hours I get to share information concerning charcoal with a great crowd of folks. I plead insanity and a love for charcoal. It's the perfect medium for quick sketches and figuring out values. I keep a small supply in my car, with paper, at all times so if I travel out, it's always there for whatever comes my way.
I love meeting the people in these charcoal sessions. They're always energetic and ready to go, or try something new; anything in fact. I've been thinking the counted strokes exercise would work nicely with our vine charcoal and compressed sticks. That sounds like a fun 15 minute exercise next week.   
Here's my 40 minute demo on 14 x 24 size sketch paper. The vine on a fresh tomato is such a great object to draw. I love the varied mark it prompts - a light touch turns darker in value with different angles. Really a lot of fun and very educational. Don't take my word for it, try it yourself. :) 

Vine Ripe and Little Yellows
Fun stuff - for sure - 5 x 7 oil on canvas

Toward the end of our session, we did a quick ten minute sketch using a pumpkin and pear - great shapes...
That's all for now - Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the day. Peace and Health -

Pumpkin and Pear in my 5.5 x 8.5 notebook

No comments:

Post a Comment