Tuesday, October 27, 2015



Apple A Day Works

an apple a day helps keeps us in good health - a quick work at the start of each day teaches me and keeps me aware of the color, design and shape of my art.



 Ever have those moments when you ask yourself how did I come to make this? Well yesterday morning was a very rainy day, so I set up three apples to paint. As those where done I felt just so so, and changed things up to a pear and two apples. Pears have great shape and they offer me such diverse planes. I always enjoy them. When that was done I decided on this set up and somehow wondered how that progression came to be. The bits of color against the dark fabric intrigued me, I though I'd work to suggest the direction of the stripes seen in the scarf...they might make a nice abstract design with the representational objects. I laid out just the apple slice this time because of the light it would attract by my window. As for the jar...I just love the shape of olive jars. :)

Apple Slice & Jar, 6 x 8 oil on panel


And here's my set up for the morning's final small work. As I look at this, the light is brighter than when I painted; looks like I took this when my larger light source was on. In the end it was a great learning experience as I got three 6 x 8 works done in about an hour and forty-five minutes. It's easier to work faster in the morning when I'm more rested - that said, I could always use more sleep. Anyway, after this one it was time to move on...


Set up for Apple Slice & Jar

This is a sunset from just a few weeks ago. There's a horse farm down the road from my home studio. I actually have the opportunity to draw these lovely animals quite a bit during the evenings. They wind up in a field that is just on the other side of this one. The family is really nice and allow me to walk across to paint whenever I like. Limited palette of terra rosa, alizarin crimson, pthalo blue, cad yellow plus white.

Sunset over Field, 6 x 8 oil on wrapped canvas

This is a charcoal sketch of three of their horses back during the summer - maybe June or so around  dusk when the light from a sunset filters through the trees at the back side of the horses. I don't know if it's easy to read, but my eraser was a great tool for skimming across the page to suggest the wire fencing. These marks run just above the horses. A special place. 
 
Trio, charcoal on paper



Thought I'd include these plein air studies from the past days. The oil is just before the rain came in. Fall colors are starting to appear in different places by the lake. I did this 8 x 10 quickly - about 40 minutes as a demo for class. The charcoal was done at another location; a value study and 30 minute demo for a class. We have a great time finding new locations by Lake Allatoona here in Northwest Georgia.

That's all for now....I thank you for looking. Have a great day - Peace and Health


Fall Colors at the Lake, 8 x 10 oil on panel



Value Study, charcoal on 18 x 24 paper






 

No comments:

Post a Comment