Tuesday, October 20, 2015



Apple A Day Works



an apple a day helps keep 
us in good health - a quick 
Structures by Lake, 8 x 8 oil on canvas

work at the start of each 
day teaches me and keeps 
me aware of the color, 
design and shape of my art.




I like the covered structures at the backside of the lake by our home. These are shelters for boats, and they're pretty full during the summer months. I've suggested their roof tops in this painting with lighter values at the tree line. Their placement with the vertical lines at intervals, offers a nice contrast to the darker foliage at the water's edge and allows me to break up the horizontal nature of this composition. This was a demo for a class by the lake and a fun study. Love my time there...








A work from last year by the lake - around the first or second week of November. A heron was flying around and after a few sketches, I suggested the movement here. These guys really don't mind me being around. They just linger, fish and watch me watch them. :)


November Morning, 8 x 8 oil on canvas

Heron at Lake, charcoal on 11 x 14 vellum


Working on figure studies this week for an upcoming show and artist chat. These have been such an education. I use directional lines to help me work out just about anything. In these works, the lines still work to show direction, movement...dancers in motion - our daughter is my muse. She's such a good model. 

Picasso is quoted as having said, "I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." Sounds good to me...Process of Learning, charcoal on 24 x 18 paper. 

Process of Learning, charcoal on 18 x 24 paper

Figure, ink on about 10 x 8 paper


Some morning work from today. A ten minute study in charcoal/8.5 x 5.5 notebook. I'm beginning to think a journal of these would be nice - sounds like a project. :)

Thanks for stopping by...enjoy the day! Peace and Health all -

Marigolds and Bottle, 8.5 x 5.5 notebook




2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE every piece you create!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IiA - you make my day. Thanks very much...to have the respect of a fellow artist such as yourself is a great gift. I appreciate it very much. Enjoy your day. :)

    ReplyDelete