Wednesday, September 21, 2016


 Last of the Marigolds...

Marigolds and Grape, 8 x 10 oil on canvas panel

I picked flowers this morning for a small study. The set up is basic - leftover matboard serves as a dark background for the bright petals which I showcase in a little oil bottle from the kitchen counter. My grandmother's tablecloth offers a bright value to the surface of my dresser. The grape gives a nice dark value. I'm keeping to my idea of minimal brushstrokes or painting knife marks with these little paintings. FuN!

Off camera to the left I have a window with northern light. I like this lighting effect for the soft quality it offers the subject matter. It's constant in terms of the color and does not burn out areas of the composition. Some days I place subject matter in a shadow box made from a larger cardboard box. I cut a hole in the box just large enough for my light source to illuminate the darkened area and cast raking light over whatever I'm painting. This morning I placed things out this way because I only expected to work for a hour and fifteen. Sometimes the set up can take me a good hour to work out what with decisions on set up. It's good to just throw some things out at times and see what I get as a result - a less is more kind of thing.

This small work gets me ready for the day, and is my post for Day 21 of Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge. 

Enjoy the day all and thanks for stopping by. Please visit me at donnashiver.com 

Peace and Health


Set up with marigolds

No comments:

Post a Comment