Monday, September 12, 2016


Asking Questions...


Morning Study - Coffee Press with Citrus, 10 x 8  
I work to paint every day. This does not mean I complete every painting I begin. Some are wiped away and never seen again. A daily routine does give me time for practice with color, brushstrokes and thought process. I work toward completing paintings for sales, commissions and exhibitions. I ask myself questions because oil painting, like all things, takes time to work out.

Questions often start with "how do I paint this or that object?" "What is the mother color of that tree line?" "Does the color or value I'm looking at seem warm or cool?" And a big one..."How is it the world looks the way it does?" There are others but these come to mind.

Time restraints involved with daily paintings prevent me from overthinking. I work on the larger picture, form, shape, space, value. This process translates to painting outdoors when I must make the most of each brushstroke - painting economically to communicate a scene before the light shifts. I rely on small surfaces in these instances, working in 90 minute intervals. After this time frame, lighting changes are too great and I move on. I can return on a similar day and pick up the painting process, or begin a new painting.

So keeping in mind my idea to limit brushstrokes with these daily works, Coffee Press...is my post for Day 12 of Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge. This work was painted using brush and knife. The composition is based on the small letter j.


Antique Jug - color chart on 11 x 14 canvas paper
This photo shows how I might approach a subject in terms of color. I made up a color chart to better determine how to paint this large old jug. Love the character of this object so I did multiple charts. This is one example.


Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.

Please visit me at donnashiver.com

Peace and Health all -







No comments:

Post a Comment