Tuesday, September 13, 2016

 

Aspects of Daily Life...


Study with Oranges, detail from 24 x 18 - looking at vertical space
Today's post shows practice pieces - the first is detail from a 24 x 18 study with oranges, next is a sketch for my weekend charcoal class, and then a practice landscape sketch in acrylic for a painting class. Study with Oranges is my post for Day 13 of Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge. For more information on this event, here's the link
https://www.saetastudio.com/30-in-30-blog






 

I found this small coffee pot at our local thrift store. It look so nice with a single lemon that I worked up a charcoal study as preparation for my Saturday class this week. We always refer back to basic shapes, cone, cube, cylinder, pyramid and sphere when working a still life with direct light source. The facets on the side of the metal pot can be broken down as basic shapes within the basic shape of the pot - great! They also offer shading which helps define the structure of the object.
Coffee Pot with Lemon, study for an upcoming class in charcoal    


Cartersville pasture, 6 x 8 acrylic on canvas paper
This small landscape is a practice acrylic work using the very few acrylic paints I own to date - a blue, yellow, umber and white. Two weeks ago I was asked to teach a painting class. I understood it would be a session in oil, but to my surprise everyone had purchased acrylics. It turns out this is an either or class and the students get to choose. Oil and Acrylic painting processes are similar and very, very different at the same time.

This said, I appreciate the opportunity to share what I do know and learn new things. It's a make it work time for me, and practice is my ally. Acrylic is a medium that I know very little about, so in order to create a class that people can learn from - including myself - I'm working to figure some things out with the very few acrylic paints I have on hand...talk about a limited palette, this is it.   :) 

Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the day all. Please visit me at donnashiver.com


Peace and Health









No comments:

Post a Comment