Friday, January 1, 2016



Tools - Painting Knife Versus Brushes...

 

It's a new year and I'm looking forward to getting outside. That said, it's been a wet season here in Northwest Georgia, so painting on location has become hit and miss at best. We've had breaks between storms and even the occasional sunny day, these are really nice of course, but when I can get out the ease of a painting knife is often my best ally. They offer great versatility with paint application, thick...thin...even directional lines and gestural figures. And at the end of the day or painting session, I give them a wipe with my rag and they're good as new. :)

Knives really allow me to mix, pick up and apply paint quickly, all the while leaving behind some interesting marks to add a little something special, and enhance the feel of a painting. I really do enjoy creating figures with tapered knives and globs of paint. Knives are a tool I trust to give just enough information when crafting the form of a figure or group of figures as seen in Outing, pictured below. I've included this painting as my first work for Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge for January, http://lesliesaeta.blogspot.com/ for more information.


Outing, Oil on 6 x 8 canvas - Knife work

Knives that I'm particularly drawn to include the tapered variety. They offer a nice tip for figures, and other detail work. I also work the side of a knife in the same way that I use the side of a charcoal stick. This gives me a nice, clean line for trees, branches and things like fences with posts. A few of my favorite knives are pictured below. 

A few of my favorite knives :-)

I wish each of you a bright and happy new year. Thanks very much for taking the time to stop by and have a look here. You can see more of my daily work at http://www.donnashiver.com/

Happy Painting :-)

Peace and Health all -

No comments:

Post a Comment