Sunday, December 20, 2015



Taking Time to Learn How to See Things...




Jelly Ingredients, 8 x 10 oil on canvas
Over the past few weeks I've been working quite a few set ups with those really dark grapes from market and produce days. They provide such strong low key values to gauge other items by, and I do enjoy eating them afterward. :)

In truth, these grapes are helping me to see. Their dark mass helps me forget detail and block in a large area very quickly. The basic structure of the grapes is what I must do first; the overall comes before the break down of individual grapes. This is a good thing because we tend to see mass better than line. So I block in the whole of the grapes and find highlights to help me establish one individual grape from the other. From there I can begin to fidget with the two extremes of intense dark, and lightest light to locate mid-tones and help give detail to the bunch.




Here's my set up from a few mornings ago and I've included a portrait sketch in ink. Once again, those lovely darker values come through. :) This beautiful young man is a drummer that often works with a group of dancers that I sketch on occasion. He's great...Thanks for stopping by. Please visit me at http://www.donnashiver.com/home.html

 I enjoy messages there and here. I appreciate your time. Enjoy the day!


Set up for Jelly Ingredients


Drummer, ink on 11 x 14 paper, to accompany dance series



No comments:

Post a Comment