Monday, December 14, 2015



Getting my exercise...stepping across the room and back to paint :)


Little Teapot, 8 x 8 oil on canvas - in process

Apple A Day Works

an apple a day promotes good health, and a quick work at the start of each day keeps me aware of the color, design and shape of my art.

 

 

 

 

 

When I was in school there were classes where I was taught the direct study methods of John Singer Sargent. The idea of working from life was stressed as it offers more than a photograph, and we see better because of this. I struggled but learned things which until recently I did not realize.

To say that admire the work of past and present day artists like John Singer Sargent and Carolyn Anderson goes without saying. Sargent and Anderson share a similar skill set in drawing and painting so wonderfully well. Have a look at the beautiful simplicity of Anderson's Yellow Finch just below - Audible Sigh here... :)

Carolyn Anderson, Yellow Finch, http://www.carolynanderson.com/Paintings.htm

 And Sargent's roses are beyond my comprehension...

John Singer Sargent, Roses, http://www.johnsingersargent.org/Roses.html


Even though I can't afford to take workshops by Anderson, I know from listening to interviews with her that she firmly believes in the idea of keeping some distance between ourselves and the canvas. I've read that Sargent would lay down paint on his very large canvases, walk across the room and run back up to create a brushstroke. I keep this in mind each day...great exercise in terms of painting and could be a pretty fine work out too. Who needs the gym?

Little Teapot with Citrus from morning set up, 8 x 8 oil on canvas


Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the day! Peace and Health all -


Pitcher and Eats, 10 x 10 oil on canvas



No comments:

Post a Comment