Sunday, January 17, 2016

Back to Work...Sketches in Oil

Rainy Night Sketch, 6 x 6 oil on canva
My time has been somewhat diverted the past week, or three months. I was honored to curate and show with four very thoughtful artists this past Friday night at OTP Gallery in Marietta GA. What a gift...because first of all I've never curated a show before, so the knowledge I gained from this experience is invaluable. In addition to this, the four other artists featured in this show are not only skilled, their work really moves me. It was a delight to explore process with them and learn from their ideas.

Which leads me to my desire to create a series of night scenes that features rain, mist, fog and all other wet climates. :)

I've been doing these for a few months now. I live by a peninsula of Lake Allatoona in Northwest GA. According to conversation I've had with some lately, I've become the woman who paints from the back of her car. Little do these folks realize, I've always been this...:) The painting shown above should correlate with day seventeen of Leslie Saeta's 30 n 30 challenge. I'm behind with this one, but enjoying the posting process when I have time. More information here http://30paintingsin30days.weebly.com/blog

We artists just find a way to paint; no matter the space, climate or time of day. I know that for me, it is a necessary action or reaction to daily life. Whether they get posted everyday, three times a week, or whatever, painting and drawing is very much an integral part of my regimen. Yesterday was great because my charcoal sessions started back at the museum in Marietta. I love this time with other minds...the activity, conversation, exchange of ideas...it's great because I live in a bubble much of the time. In truth, I learn so much. :)

Here, at work, are the artists that I asked to participate in the show that opened Friday night. We each worked very hard to make this happen. I did share this process on Facebook, but it bears repeating here. I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I took pleasure in coordinating this show. When everything was hung, it was such a proud moment for each of us.


April Marten in studio

DeAnna Headrick at work in studio


Gabrielle Perry at work in studio

Jessica Killpack at work in studio

all for today - please visit me at http://www.donnashiver.com/

Thanks so much for looking and hope your day is full of opportunities...
Peace and Health all -

No comments:

Post a Comment