Saturday, January 9, 2016



Painting Knives for Creamy Application of Paint...



Blue and Orange, 8 x 10 oil on canvas - knife and brush work


I posted earlier in the week about my love for painting knives when out on location. The ease of these tools is a real gift when I hike back into the lake. There is no juggling brushes as I go back and forth between large forms, and smaller details, and I am so drawn to the creamy texture they provide as well as the mark they create. Clean up just requires a good thick rag. It's a win/win for me...




Looking through my work, I found this still life entitled Blue and Orange. The citrus pictured is a good example of how I utilize these tools to express rich paint. I find that if I allow my instincts to take over, the result is much fresher.


When I first began to work with knives, leftover bits of canvas was my best friend. I used these remnants to practice and get the feel of a knife with generous paint. The tapered knives are some of my favorite tools to use, great for mixing, very sturdy, and they have the perfect tip for detail work with dabs of paint. Of course I have a good supply of all types, and choose the one that best fits the job; the larger the area, the bigger my knife. I also mix brushes with knives really often for variety. My fingers are terrific in certain situations too. :)


Here's my daily post and painting 9 for Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge. More information on Leslie and all the artists participating here - http://30paintingsin30days.weebly.com/blog


Church Steeple, 8 x 10 oil on canvas - knife and brush work
Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend. I invite you to visit me at http://www.donnashiver.com/

Peace and Health all - :) 

2 comments: