Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Rainy Day Painting

  


Apple A Day Works

an apple a day helps keeps us in good health - a quick work at the start of each day teaches me and keeps me aware of the color, design and shape of my art.


The holiday season is here and I've been spending more time painting at the square in Marietta GA. We've had several consecutive days of rain in November, and loads of wet pavement. I set up inside my vehicle one afternoon and took advantage of this. When I do this small panels are easy to work with, 5 x 7 or 6 x 8 panels and a small limited palette of colors. Folks are beginning to trickle in to the square in Marietta for the new skating rink and Candlelight Shopping Nights. Business vendors set out wine and snacks as an offering to those who stop by. Hot Cidar is one of my favorite drinks to offer up as the weather gets chilly and folks appreciate the thought of something warm. :)



Strand Theatre, oil on 6 x 8 panel


Quick Charcoal of the scene, maybe 6 x 9 paper




So I previously posted a few small hand made paper works with ink drawings. These were made as gifts for a media party last week at the Marietta Square. At that time I mentioned a few basic instructions for paper making. I'm self taught, but have sort of come to realize the process can be as simple or as labor intensive as you have time and energy for. The results can yield note cards, journals or sheets for collage works. Here are a few of my works over the years plus a few link for paper making processes.




Hieroglyphs, Hand Made Paper, Watercolor, Metal Screening, Hemp


Book of Hand Made Papers


Pulled Sheet with poured processes



Witches Boots, note card

I make hand made papers from natural materials like branches that are stripped and boiled down, leaves, grass, flowers and the like. That said, I also recycle materials like shredded printer paper, cardboard egg cartons, non-glossy junk mail, old phone books, newspaper...I like to get creative and mix things up. :)


Their are plenty of kits on the market for purchase that have basic supplies, or you can purchase supplies and make some things yourself, but I have come to learn that a few household items can get me what I need; for example, picture frames of the same size paired with metal screening works great for pulling sheets. I'll see about getting something up soon with photos to better explain this simple process. 

Here's are a couple of good sources for paper making information - take a look and have fun.

How to on Handmade Paper - www.Paperstudio.com

http://paperalice.com/








No comments:

Post a Comment