Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Blue Green Waters, 6 x 8 oil on panel
Apple A Day Works

an apple a day helps keeps us in good health - a quick work at the start of each day teaches me and keeps me aware of the color, design and shape of my art.


This study is something I'm returning to as a reference for a larger painting. Although I would like to improve certain aspects of color, the information here is invaluable. Having a good idea of the local color on site is so helpful. These small paintings help me in terms of the memory of that day, the climate, atmospheric conditions, and even how I felt out at a particular location. I take notes about temperature, sun and shade, as well as the visible color within the environment. A sketchbook is invaluable to me and I keep one pretty close. I can leave one in my car with a tin of charcoal for quick sketches on the road. A small piece of sandpaper taped to the backing of the book gives me a way to sharpen up vine or pencils. Quick and easy...


It was raining like cats and dogs today, but here is a small daily piece from an outdoor session last week with charcoal.

Mother and Child by Fountain, charcoal on paper, sketchbook

The past couple of days I've been working to get pieces ready for an event at the Marietta Square in Marietta GA. They are putting together a Winter Wonderland for the upcoming season, and Red Door Gallery is helping with a media party. I've put together twenty-five small gifts for various media folks. The two pictured below feature ink, hand made and commercial paper, reclaimed note cards and thread. They are a playful look at a series I've worked on for a number of years now - Common Threads Works. My intent is to call attention to the commonalities that make us more similar than different.
Anyone interested in making paper can do the basics with a few materials. When I do paper making workshops, I have folks bring in non-glossy junk mail, old phone books, cardboard egg cartons - anything meant for recycling. A blender is needed, plus a kitty litter size tray, two frames of the same size, metal or plastic screening, metal staples, and water.  I'll work to post about the process tomorrow or Friday. It's really fun - a bit labor intensive, but really fun. Dyes can be added and there are loads of organics out there that make great color on paper, beets, spinach, paprika, turmeric...lovely natural colors.
 

Elf Hat, ink, hand made and commercial paper, thread





Bells, ink, hand made and commercial paper, thread


One of the first works I decided to do with this Common Threads concept in mind was Working Hands. I love the idea of hands and the things they do each day. We each have chores, jobs and our hands are a wonderful tool. They certainly help me get things done.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great evening. Peace and Health -

Working Hands Study, watercolor and thread on paper, about 12 x 14


No comments:

Post a Comment