Tuesday, September 15, 2015



Donna's Daily Works or Apple A Day Works - akin to an apple a day helps to keep us in good health; a work a day helps me learn and become more aware of the color, design and shape of my art. 


So I worked on several projects today, and became pretty involved. This said, I thought I'd post a work from the past few months, and share some of that process.
I collaborate with six other artists at Red Door Gallery on the Marietta Square in Historic Marietta, Georgia. Each year the square hosts an ArtWalk on the First Friday of each month, April through October. I'm preparing a work for that final show this week and hope to share some of that process in tomorrow's post.


April's theme was DIRT and I decided to continue my series devoted to Dance. The image below is charcoal on wood panel. I work these on the panel and finish with a non-yellowing polyurethane, so there is no need for glass. I cradle the works to give them added depth. Birch works great...I have a supplier, so I cut the wood to size and give it a few coats of Blick's artist gesso, using a large brush. This is a 12 x 29. 
The charcoal is vine and compressed, but vine is wonderful for the figure here because of the forgiving nature of the medium. Once a mark is made on these panels, it's very hard to go back or lift the charcoal. This one took me two attempts to get the affect I wanted. I love dance and Spanish Dance is not only beautiful and rich with movement, I find there's a real passionate exchange between those who dance and the audience.

Excel, 12 x 29 charcoal on prepared wood panel


Just for fun, and since the Chalkfest is coming up next month at the Marietta Cobb Museum, I thought I'd post this drawing of two girls from last year's event. I saw them sitting and drawing with chalk on the pavement - could not help but start a sketch. If you're interested in visiting the square during the Chalkfest and viewing some great art, I've attached information below.


Chalk Girls, ink on leftover paper







Chalktoberfest



The 2015 Marietta Chalktoberfest features 45+ professional chalk artists creating patriotic works of art on the streets of historic Marietta Square. Additionally, there will be a craft beer festival, competition chalk section, concerts on the Square and much more on Saturday. On Sunday there will be a Kids on the Block activities and an Antique Car Show in addition to the professional chalk.
Date:
Saturday October 10, 2015 from 10 am – 5 pm and concert is 7 pm-9 pm.
Sunday October 11, 2015 from 11 am-5 pm.
Admission:
Beer Festival tickets will go on sale August 1 – $35 for the first 500 tickets, $45 for the second 500 tickets and $50 at the door. Over 100 craft beers will be available for tasting. The rest of the festival is free to the public.
Address:
Marietta/Cobb Museum of Art
30 Atlanta Street
Marietta, GA.
More information:
For more information, please call 770-528-1444 or visit Chalktoberfest.com

http://www.marietta.com/marietta-chalkfest


This is not done today, but is on my shipping table. A plein air from last year - I do love water...



And here's my post for Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge, day 15. I call it Muddy Waters - done last week on a rainy day by the lake. This was a really fun and very quick demonstration just as our class was wrapping up.


Muddy Waters, oil on 5 x 7 canvas

Thanks for stopping by...I appreciate it. Peace and Health to all -

No comments:

Post a Comment