Saturday, September 19, 2015



Donna's Daily Works - I call these my Apple A Day Works - much like an apple a day helps to keep us in good health; a work a day helps me learn and become more aware of the color, design and shape of my art.




Today I'm sharing photos of prep work done earlier in the week. On this day I cut and primed panels  for drawings and paintings. I buy larger panels and cut them here at home to save money. 
The top image shows my cut wood panel with a first coat of gesso. I find these make a great surface for charcoal when primed with Blick Artist Grade Gesso.
The gesso pictured here is actually a leftover studio grade from my summer classes with middle and high school students. Since I don't want to waste product, I will put it together with Golden pumice gel that I have on hand; a medium grit. The pumice gel texture will add tooth to the finished panel; better for charcoal. 

The Blick Studio Grade works just fine, I simply prefer the tooth of the artist grade. So what you see here is a ratio of gesso and pumice gel applied to the panel. I'll check the tooth and add more pumice gel with the second application of gesso if necessary. I can sand as needed or leave things as is.
Just a note: I typically use larger brushes with this prep work than the ones pictured here - for me bigger brushes add even greater underlying texture to the panels. I especially like this for the charcoal works. And the great thing about working charcoal on these panels is no need for glass. I finish them with a non-yellowing polyurethane.


Cut wood panel, brushes, studio grade gesso, and pumice gel

The image below shows a finished charcoal work on one of these panels, 25 x 15 in size. I prepared this image for Red Door Gallery on the Marietta Square during this summer's Artwalk Season which runs April through October. I can cradle these and add depth or frame them in a more traditional manner.

Fluid, Charcoal on prepared wood panel

 
Here is an image that shows leftover mat board which I cut and gesso for paintings. These are quick and easy to make up the night before a painting day. As they're lightweight, transport is easy for outdoor painting and they work really well for studies.


Leftover mat boards cut up and primed for panels



That's about all for today. Here's my post for Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge day 19. This field is just a short walk or a quick drive down from my home studio. It's a beautiful place to paint; horse stables are close by so sketching is fun. I bring apples so they come right up. I'm fortunate to have access to it - the family there is very accommodating. :) Thanks very much for stopping by...Peace and Health


Sunset in Field, 6 x 6 oil on cradled canvas














No comments:

Post a Comment