Friday, September 25, 2015





Donna's Daily Works - I call these my Apple A Day Works - much like an apple a day helps to keep us in good health; a work a day helps me learn and become more aware of the color, design and shape of my art. 


I have such great respect for the construction of a bird's nest. Ingenious creatures, birds are wonderfully suited to recycling found materials and weaving those items into a beautiful work of art. I know the word can be over used at times, but I find the process truly amazing...

So in my studio I have boxes of items that I use for still life set ups. Nests line one of my shelves - I have five now. These have been left behind, and for whatever reason, have fallen from the tree. I've found a couple here in our yard at my home studio, and another three on walks with our dogs. Nests are a real challenge to draw or paint - I learn so much each time I try. They're delicate yet structurally sound pieces of art. Such an education...once again...respect -



Morning Set Up with straw nest and partial egg I found







Here's the completed hour and fifteen minute study on 6 x 12 linen panel, and my post for today's 30 in 30 challenge. I will do more of these - great exercise. This shows a limited palette of ultramarine blue, pthalo blue, raw sienna, cad yellow, plus white. I learned a lot...







One of my first studies in charcoal, and a really fun exercise. Using vine charcoal sticks, I blocked in the dark shape of the nest and relied upon my eraser to lift the lighter strands that make up the nest layering. It went pretty quickly and all in all I was happy with the result.






Nest Study, charcoal on about 6 x 9 or so paper




The next morning I turned to sweet gum balls, also from my yard. My alternative to raking. ;0   


Sweet Gum Balls, charcoal on about 6 x 12 paper




That's all for now, thanks for stopping by. My pups are about tired of me doing this painting/drawing thang....time to eat. Peace and Health all -






No comments:

Post a Comment