Sunday, September 13, 2015



Donna's Apple A Day Works - akin to an apple a day helps to keep us in good health; a work a day helps me stay aware of the color, design and shape of my art.





Today I've been preparing work for a show at the end of the month, and trying to get quality photographs of two portraits; one for a publication and one in progress. I'm also looking at these antique irons as subject matter for a painting. I think they could be pretty interesting to figure out in terms of color theory. The two shown here could be a good first study later this evening.

Antique Irons my grandmother used in her house


I've included my first study of Matty below, the portrait I mention above that's in progress. This is a charcoal on about 20 x 24 size paper. Matty is three and has wonderfully rich eyes. It was my pleasure to sit with him and get to know what he likes to eat, and which toys are his favorite - trains, that does it for him. I understand - they are pretty special. So as I write this, my camera is upstairs charging and I hope to get good shots of the finished work this evening after dinner. This study of Matty will go into a chunky but simple black frame with black matting.

Matty, a study on - charcoal on 20 x 24 size paper


Hillary is my charcoal portrait that needs a good quality image for publication in Strokes of Genius 8, North Light Books Best of Drawing Series. I've been having trouble with my camera for a little while now, so I hope to get a least three good shots of this one. If not, I'll have to see about a loaner for a day.

Hillary, charcoal on 18 x 24 size paper
My post for Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge today features a small antique oil can. It goes with a turn of the century cast iron Singer sewing machine that belonged to my grandmother. Love that machine...and it still works great. That's all for now - thank you so much for stopping by. Peace and Health -

Oil Can, 5 x 7 oil on canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment