Monday, September 19, 2016


Using Up Leftover Paint...

Mountain City using leftover paint, 6 x 6 oil on canvas panel

So I'm done with painting for the day and am left with a bit of color on my palette. It's seldom very much, but I don't want to waste the product. It's too costly for that, so I usually do one of two things with leftover paint. With knife in hand I might scrap up the remains of the day and store it in an empty tube purchased at the art store. These metal tubes are great for this and I can seal up the open end with pliers. The combination of all colors makes various warm and cool gray tones for future paintings. 

The other option is to pick up a small canvas  and do something minimal with the limited palette that remains. Here is one of these for today and my post for Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge, Day 19. I had folks visiting last week, and my teaching has started back after the summer months, so it's been several days since I posted. There are loads of great artists participating. Fun things....check it out here https://www.saetastudio.com/30-in-30.html




Value sketch in charcoal - preparation for oil painting
Want to share this lovely toned tan paper by Strathmore. I get these pads pretty often and enjoy the quality of the mark made against the paper. The tone is nice and would be great with a bit of white chalk to accent the brightest areas of highlight.

Thanks for stopping by and please visit me at donnashiver.com

Peace and Health all -  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment