Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Breaking Down  Information...

Study for Waiting, 6 x 6 oil on canvas panel

 

Study for Waiting is my post for Day 7 of Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge. I'm working each of these smaller studies with the mindset of economy; a minimal number of marks and brushstrokes to complete the image. A limited palette is helpful.

I enjoy working the figure so I practice often. It's great fun and learn or refine things with every attempt. Simplification helps me. In the beginning stages of any work I rely upon directional lines and shapes to help me break down still life, landscape or the figure.








A simple curved line can be the first step in creating a figure. Whether I'm working with vine charcoal or brush, I begin the mark and use the whole of my arm and shoulder to create the flow of this line. It's one swift motion.







Additional lines indicate limbs. A sphere works for the basic shape of the head, oval for the torso, cylinder for the pelvis, and smaller spheres make up the joints. These last indications go a long way toward helping me gauge proportion.









Here is the breakdown of a gestural work and the resulting refined sketch for Practice in charcoal. I may do three or four of these, with various poses before starting a refined sketch.

Thanks for stopping by...Happy Drawing, Happy Painting. I welcome you to visit me at donnashiver.com

Peace and Health - :)

Breaking Down the Figure, charcoal on 9 x 12 newsprint




Practice, charcoal on paper, 18 x 12

No comments:

Post a Comment