Tuesday, September 20, 2016





Cone detail

Shape and Color...

 

I put together a study this morning for an acrylic class I'm teaching the next eight weeks. We're looking at basic forms, sphere, cone, cylinder and pyramid as they appear in everyday objects. We're using them to break down complex forms. Color theory is part of our discussion too, hence the color chart on the full panel pictured below.

My knowledge of acrylics is limited. In fact, I went into this class thinking I would be sharing information about oil painting. It's been enlightening... ;)

 




 

Cone made up of newsprint and color chart, acrylic on
8 x 10 canvas panel







 The cone image to the right is charcoal - a demo for a class in charcoal. It gave me the idea to
use this object as what I hope will be a fun exercise in acrylic.

I do a value study in charcoal before beginning a painting in oil. This set up for my charcoal class was about the economy of mark making - how to interpret the light and shadow, plus print with a direct light source using minimal marks.



Of course, this is still a cone and the light behaves in the same way it would with a regular cone shape. We have light and shadow that follows the shape: including the brightest bright, areas of mid-tone, the deeper core shadow and cast shadow with dark affects where the cone displaces space, a softening of the shadow as it moves away from the cone, and reflected light that shows up as a result of the surface of the table top the cone rests upon. I enjoyed the exercise - and I'm happy to say my charcoal students liked it very much. Good things. :)

Thanks for stopping by and be well...

Peace and Health,
Donna








No comments:

Post a Comment