Wednesday, September 28, 2016



Marigolds, Acrylic Demo on 11 x 9 canvas paper
Day 28 of Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge

Find Simplicity...

“Three Rules of Work:
Out of clutter find simplicity.
From discord find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”

Albert Einstein


I've read this quote many times. I'm told it comes from Einstein - figures. Whatever the case, it always seems a good fit for my daily life. Today is no different. 

The attached painting is my demonstration from this past Thursday night's acrylic class. I'm working to learn things about acrylics that I might share with a class of seven. Although I don't know much about this medium, it's teaching me so much - for example, how to find harmony from the disconnect I feel between oil painting that I'm familiar with, and acrylic painting which I know very little about. I am relying on my knowledge of drawing and application of paint. The beauty of acrylics is they dry quickly, that said, the drawback to acrylics is they dry quickly. :)

I'm accustomed to working with paint plus odorless Gamsol in stages of wet in wet. Of course we can work with oils in layers but the processes are still different. Whatever the case, in this time of learning to teach, I find myself identifying even more with the final line of this quote"...In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Isn't everyday this way?

Here's another small work in acrylic. Thanks for stopping by and please visit me at donnashiver.com

Acrylic on canvas paper, 6 x 9

Peace and Health all -




No comments:

Post a Comment