Monday, February 1, 2016



Organizing and Preparing Materials...

 

Before the Jam, 8 x 10 oil on canvas
 The concept of organization is a tough one at times. Whether it's my materials for a day out with classes, or personal studio space, the act of experimentation and making art often takes precedence over the active response to the nest of things that wind up all over the place. Suddenly it's midnight and I'm too beat for cleaning up anything more than my brushes. This is another selling point for palette knives...a wipe of my rag and they're done.


Today is Monday and coming off the weekend, I'm looking forward to an afternoon of doing...with paint that is. So early this morning I worked to better prepare my space and get things put back where they belong - at least for now.

It's the same for me as when I get items ready to cook. There is produce to wash and cut up, or prep for stewing, braising and overall good eating. Before the Jam shows a few leftover pieces from ingredients I used for jam. Grapes and Apples so ripe, they smell sweet enough to leave off the sugar. Truth is I don't use much anyway, but it's the same with over ripe plums - they give something extra to the batch. Organizing these things makes my time in the kitchen short
and sweet. :)

In studio, if I spend too much time looking for something, that's time away from my canvas or paper. A little bit of catch up time today will save me the frustration of wondering what I did with my favorite palette knife, or where I laid my blades and sandpaper for sharpening charcoal. It's an exchange that I have to just do from time to time. Actually, for me I think it's often that good break that is needed. A few minutes to brew a cup of tea, and twenty minutes or so of straightening up goes a long way toward keeping me on track and feeling good about my tools.


Today's quick sketch in progress - short of color adjustments, I'm looking at areas to develop versus those to leave be... 


Quick Sketch on 9 x 12 canvas

















Quick Sketch - focus on this lovely blue vase



Portrait Study, charcoal on paper

Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the day. Peace and Health all...

No comments:

Post a Comment