Thursday, November 5, 2015



Apple A Day Works

an apple a day helps keeps us in good health - a quick work at the start of each day teaches me and keeps me aware of the color, design and shape of my art.








Not to compare apples to oranges, or in this case clementines - these little guys aren't apples, but for me the principle of Apple A Day works is in the benefit from good practices.

It's the idea that we can strive each day to just do...and even reach beyond comfort levels, play with color, form and line to advance skills and learn. Whatever our profession, these daily exercises offer experience; from a personal viewpoint, without the doing I will not improve.

Daily practice also means caring for those tools that help me create. Artistic inspiration strikes but if my tools suffer, so does my work. I take breaks to refresh - get a drink or food and care for my brushes or knives. With a little care, I save money in the long run. After all, tools are too expensive to neglect. I keep a rag close by to wipe brushes and knives, and when it comes time to clean I've had good luck with Master's Brush Cleaner. It does last a good while and works well to keep the shape in my brushes.

Here's are some tips from the folks at Winsor Newton - you can take in the whole write up at 
http://www.winsornewton.com/na/discover/tips-and-techniques/other-tips-and-techniques/care-and-cleaning-of-brushes-us


Cleaning Oil Colour Brushes

If you’ve been working with oils, use a rag to wipe away as much colour as possible from your brush. Then rinse any remaining colour using Winsor & Newton Artists’ White Spirit or Brush Cleaner. Next, as you would when cleaning your hands, create a lather and rinse the brush under warm, not hot, water until the water runs clear of colour and soap.

Oil Colour Brush Care

Stay away from detergent, as this will damage the individual bristles on your brush. Another thing to avoid is paint stripper. Many artists use it to resuscitate a brush with dried paint on it, but this often takes the shape away from your brush.


With water colour and acrylic brushes, it is important to remove excess water, dry ferrules and handles, reshape brush heads and rest them with the bristles facing upwards to dry off. If you notice a stain in your bristles, don’t worry, as this has no effect on the performance or life of the bristles. When it comes to storage, you should place the brushes in a pot or jar with the bristles facing upward, only storing them when they are completely dry.

Oil Colour Brush Care

Follow the same detailed process as you would as when caring for a water colour and / or acrylic brush. If you are storing hog brushes for any length of time, make sure they are clean and completely dry. A box with a tight fitting lid is ideal and will prevent moth damage. Brushes that are not dry may develop mildew.



Today's sketch in charcoal is entitled White Barge; a work on primed wood panel. I usually use these panels for my series that highlights dance. I've included one of these works below White Barge.


White Barge, charcoal on 12 x 26 primed wood panel


Excel, 12 x 29 charcoal on primed wood panel, polyurethane finish - no glass is necessary

In this case I wanted to try something different, well similar surface with other subject matter. These panels are nice, inexpensive at under $20 for a 6 foot sheet at Home Depot. I cut them at home with my table saw, prime cut pieces with Blick Artist Gesso and go to it. The charcoal works nicely with the surface. Blick's Artist Gesso has a grit which helps to grab and hold the medium. They're a little like Gator Board for pastels, but much cheaper. I finish the work with a non-yellowing polyurethane so no glass is needed. I like that -


I painted a small version of White Barge with a limited palette during the summer, leaving out details, and bringing focus to the boat and a few rocks. I actually like the vertical orientation and will likely return to that for a larger painting.

White Barge, oil on 6 x 8 panel
That's all for now - Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate your time. Peace and Health






No comments:

Post a Comment