Tuesday, November 17, 2015

6 x 6 oil on panel, Fountain, Marietta GA
 

Apple A Day Works

an apple a day helps keeps us in good health - a quick work at the start of each day teaches me and keeps me aware of the color, design and shape of my art.

On this crisp morning, I'm looking through summer works and catching up with photography. I try to take care of these things as they are done, but some slip through the cracks; if I'm honest, many do... :)






The painting above is a study from early in the summer of 2015. The square in Marietta, GA is a beautiful spot and this antique fountain just prompts folks to sit and chat on Saturday afternoons. Kids play all 'round the fountain, delighted by the cool spray as grandparents watch on in complete wonder. Sound good? It is...see for yourself...


Marietta, GA - Plaza and antique fountain






I painted this little one with a couple of painting knives. I find these tools great for broadcasting color, and creating interesting detail. The ease of color change is quite liberating and very exciting. They clean up easily in between color application with a wipe of my rag, and when I'm outdoors trying to work with my tools and the environment, that is a wonderful thing. :)


Here is a selection of my painting knives.




I have others, but these are a few favorites. The size I choose depends on the need, and often the size of my painting. Smaller works, smaller knives and larger knives are helpful for blocking in larger areas efficiently. I also use knives to apply leftover paint to canvas paper, or panel. It's a fun way for me to use up the paint and just play with color, directional lines, form and space. Try it and have some fun with that leftover material....


Abstract with leftover paint

Detail of abstract with leftover paint



Here's are a few daily works in charcoal - straight out of my sketchbook. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day. I appreciate your time. :)


RR Crossing, Marietta GA



Blue Heron


Water Founain

No comments:

Post a Comment