Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Summer Finds from the Garden...

 

Wildflowers with Citrus, 11 x 14 oil on canvas
 The garden blooms have been fading the past weeks so I've tried to take advantage of the last of these with set ups in the morning. I enjoy the exploration of color and shape. I'm looking forward to fall of course, but I'll miss these lovelies.

 Included below are progression shots of a nest study in charcoal. I found this one on the ground last fall. We are fortunate to have so many birds - I love them all over the yard. Their nests fall from the trees later in the year and I bring them inside to study. The weaving of these structures amazes and confounds me. 

Thanks for looking and have a great day.

Peace and Health...
donnashiver.com
Small Blue Vase with Citrus, 9 x 12 oil on canvas



 








Nest block in with vine charcoal - keeping it loose to get the flow and shape

Pushing charcoal around and lifting with eraser, fingertips, side of my hand

Squinting my eyes to pick out light and dark values - darkening values in areas

Getting closer, adding more detail, lifting with eraser

Finished study -



 




No comments:

Post a Comment