Wednesday, January 6, 2016



The Color of Green...

 



Beauty Spot, oil on 5 x 7 canvas, painting knife
Getting out to paint on location is something I really enjoy. I find it a great way to change direction after a day or more in studio, and it seems that when I've spent too much time away from the outdoors my work tends to suffer. Call it a refresh or even a mini-vacation, an hour or two outside is a real gift of time. I learn so much and have that much needed time away from things in my household that can distract my focus from time to time. 

 




Here are two of my beloved distractions...Daisy, a Staffordshire Terrior, Bull Masitff mix and Chaplin, our loving but slightly indifferent kitty. :) We have one more small pup named Boo, but he was napping.
 



Just like with my portrait studies, I've created a brief color chart for greens. The one posted below provides tinting information for Phthalo Blue, as it works with Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna and Alizarin Crimson with additions of white. Of course, this chart works to inform me when I look at skies too. Again, I find these so helpful for many reasons.



Color Chart, Focus: Phthalo Blue 




Here are a few other landscapes that have allowed me to think about greens...


City of Water, 5 x 7 oil on canvas, painting knife



Falls, 8 x 10, oil on canvas



November Morning, 8 x 8 oil on canvas


Haybales, about 7 x 10 or so, oil on wood panel



Plaza at Marietta Square, Marietta GA, 6 x 6 oil on canvas

And here's my post for Leslie Saeta's 30 paintings in 30 days challenge. I'm a day or so behind with these, so I'm not entirely sure what day we're on now but you can find more information through the link here http://30paintingsin30days.weebly.com/


Dark Grapes with Lemon, 8 x 10 oil on canvas



Thanks so much for stopping by and I invite you to visit me at http://www.donnashiver.com/

Peace and Health all - :-)

2 comments: