Monday, October 19, 2015





I call these Apple A Day Works
Last of Summer, oil on primed cardboard 





an apple a day helps keep 
us in good health - a quick 
work at the start of each 
day teaches me and keeps 
me aware of the color, 
design and shape of my art.



I've been putting together a little series of small paintings that feature glass and flowers. There's so much education in these quick studies. I did this one early morning using primed cardboard - material left over from summer camps with middle and high school students. My logic is purely one that focuses on the process and learning that can come from doing quick studies. The cardboard is here and inexpensive. I apply two coats of gesso, and if things don't turn out as I envision...that's okay. If I'm honest, it's always okay in most cases. Commissions and paintings I create with a show in mind are entirely different of course, but for studies where I hope to learn and grow, for me the surface just needs to hold the paint. :)


This small painting is another in this series. I'm pairing the flower works with other pieces that feature produce from our garden. Little onions are a staple we keep year round. They multiply so quickly. I used a limited palette on this, and used the dark background to help me carve out the onion and little green stems; all painting knife. The pinks were a lot of fun to work with and they offered a nice little glow to the work.

Growth, 6 x 6 oil on wrapped canvas

 More seascapes studies....this is charcoal on some leftover paper, maybe 12 x 16 or so. This is my project for the remainder of the day. I hope to get some good things on paper and canvas.


It's time to get out for a bit and walk my pups. They are a little tired of this painting/drawing thang. Have a great day...Peace and Health all -



No comments:

Post a Comment