Friday, February 19, 2016


 

Changing up Space...

Study with Pitcher and Apple, 9 x 12 oil on canvas

I'm putting together small studies in preparation for larger commission works I've been asked to do recently. I feel fortunate that those doing the asking have provided notes, and still given me a lot of space with regard to the finished pieces. This has given me wiggle room, and the liberty to just get something on my painting surface, along with a few other ideas to bring a fresh eye to things.

Yesterday I decided to play around with locations...other areas to set up and paint from; studio space I have in our home versus other rooms that would change my perspective.

Here are shots I took of my set up while working from our downstairs basement area. I do like the mood here, but the lighting is also easier for me to control because I use a single direct light source instead of the lighting from my northern facing window in studio. That said, I like using this northern lighting, it's more constant - not 100%, but more constant.  It prompts me to work faster due to changing light conditions, so I don't think too much...that always sounds funny, but overthinking things can block spontaneity. Using this northern facing window for a set up is a little like being out on location. After an hour in a half, I move on. :) 

Set up with varied lighting

Set up with varied lighting

And here's a view of my studio space at the end of a quick paint session. At times an hour is all I have to work with before the lighting becomes too bright for my painting surface.

At the end of a quick hour session with 9 x 12 canvas

Here are a couple of pieces from a recent sketch night. Fun things to translate to canvas...
Thanks very much for stopping by and have a great day. I invite you to visit me at donnashiver.com

Peace and Health all - 

Flamenco and Guitar, ink on paper

Flamenco, ink and charcoal on paper









No comments:

Post a Comment